New country, new job...and an Identity Crisis!

Hello and Welcome to Tailor Made for Talking!

I am super excited to be writing my very first blog post and I feel really optimistic about what this blog could become as I write about the ups and downs of my life as a Speech and Language Pathologist in London, England.  
The past few months of my life have been exciting and scary, defeating and inspiring and all the other contradictory adjectives that you can think of.  I had the best week of my life in Cancun, Mexico marrying my best friend and love of my life.
I then bid a tearful goodbye to my family, friends, and life in Vancouver and moved to London to (finally!) end our long distance relationship and be with my new husband.  Now I'm practically neighbours with the Queen, I've learned to drive on the wrong side of the road, and best of all, I have landed an amazing job doing what I love.  All of these things have caused two things to happen: 

1) An identity crisis.  Am I a Pathologist or a Therapist!?  I spent two years of my life doing a masters so that I could be a Speech and Language Pathologist and no one in this country uses that term!  My brain tells me that now my title is Speech and Language Therapist but my heart cries out 'NoOoOoOo!' 


2) This blog.  This exciting time in my life has inspired me to write about the unique experience that I am currently in as an SLP/T.  I am a relatively new graduate, fully trained in Canada and now working in this non-rhotic, crazy vowel, country.


Stay tuned to read more about my job, differences in practice between Canada and the UK, and loads of therapy ideas and resources! 


Bye for now!

Labels: